Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
LakeAnnaLifeTimesJuneJuly2015 16 did you knowLAKE ANNA HISTORY TRIVIA Have you ever wondered about road names around the lake How they received their names is often fascinating and historically reveal- ing. The lake region has families that were here before impoundment. Some are still living on homeplaces some have passed away or moved on. Their legacies though are the road creek and cove names around the lake. We did a little digging to bring you some of the background of these. Many years ago families used ex- isting trails and paths as they migrat- ed further inland from the Virginia shoreline. Then as communities developed and commerce grew the road system evolved into its present state. Roads were often named ac- cording to certain landmarks or to the families residing nearby. For instance in the Lake Anna area of Spotsylvania County there are several roads carrying the name of Brooks - Alva Brooks Lane Elnora Brooks Lane and Randolph Brooks Lane. These roads are off Route 655 which is known as Ridge Rd. In ad- dition Grand Brooks Road Route 721 runs north off route 601 just a short distance from its intersection with Route 655. According to the census records many Brooks fami- lies have resided in this area since the early-mid 1800s. Several Brooks family cemeteries are located along Route 655. For many years the road leading to Lake Anna State Park Route 601 has been known as Lawyers Road. According to Virginia Johnson in an article at Librarypoint.org it is believed that Lawyers Road traces its name back to the 18th century and a pair of lawyers bearing the sur- name of Lewis. Many Lewis family members re sided in the western part of Spot- sylvania County. Zachary Lewis 1702-1765 owned a plantation known as Bel-Air. He served as the Kings attorney and represented the Kings interest in legal matters. Zach- arys son John Lewis 1729-1780 was an attorney as well and Zachary and John would travel Route 601 to the Orange County courthouse. Zachary Lewis was a firm believer in the strictures of colonial rule but another of his sons also named Zach- ary 1731-1803 would become part of the rebel cause as would his other son John. Zachary the younger be- came part of George Washingtons command at Old Fort Cumberland and later he would again be at Wash- ingtons side during the American Revolution. The Lewis descendants included among others General Lewis Lit- tlepage. Lewis Littlepage was born in 1762 to Elizabeth Betty Lewis daughter of Zachary Lewis II and James Littlepage at South Wales a 4000-acre plantation located in Ha- nover County which had been es- tablished by his ancestors in the mid 1600s. James Littlepage died in 1766 and the South Wales plantation was sold to pay the family debts. Elizabeth Lit- tlepage then moved to Spotsylvania County to live with her brother and in 1774 she married Lewis Holladay of the Bellefonte mansion which was located on Northeast Creek in south- western Spotsylvania County. The Bellefonte Plantation was built in 1702 by John Holladay and his wife Elizabeth. John Holladay was a Captain of the Virginia Rangers of Spotsylvania County. Informa- tion found on findagrave.com indi- cates that John Holladay received the property as a grant for his service as a Virginia Ranger that the property remained in the Holladay family until after the Civil War and that a family cemetery is located within a rock wall installed in 1922 behind the remains The home at the Holladay Mill Bridge on Rt. 719 in the North Anna River branch of the lake was part of a mill operated in the 1800s. The Names They Leave Behind... Alva Brooks Lane. BY LIBBY HAYES